So after working on our code lately, we were able to figure out
how the Contour People Counter (CPC) works. When we used it on one of our
images, the person was being recognized as two different people. This person
was me and at the time I was standing in front of a white background while
wearing a peach shirt. Apparently, the algorithm recognized my shirt as part of
the background. Of course that was the least of our problems.
This was not the first time
that I have ran into a problem with coding. I faced these problems throughout
my academic career in Berea. Coding does not come easy and I feel myself
struggling every time I have to interpret something, at least that is how I
felt earlier in my academic career. Back then, I always felt myself asking for
help and relying on others to get me through the course. Sometimes I wonder if
it is just me not putting enough effort into what I am doing. If only I knew
then what I know now, things would have been different. Things are going to be
different this time. Getting better at coding requires doing it in repetition
and this internship has done just that.
Eventually, our hard work led
to us making a breakthrough. After applying a counter to the algorithm, the
code was able to count the same amount of boxes that appeared on the image. It
is always great to see progress rewarded from hard work. However sometimes it
can stem from the simplest changes. Computer Science is painful and annoying
until you get the code working, then you end up loving it.
Comments
Post a Comment