Skip to main content

Posted Up

The field testing had finally begun. The 12 hours shift that would put CJ and me in one location for the entire day had finally caught up to us. We knew this day would come, we just never knew how we would bare it. Because of the lack of manpower, CJ and I had to be split up between the Stephenson trail and the Indian Fort trail. This was going to be a true test of our independence to work without the help of each other. CJ got the more popular trail so he had to worry about more trail users than I did. I expected this part of our internship to be the worst part of the 10 weeks spent over the summer.

My expectations for this part of my internship were not things I wanted to be true but I knew the reality of what was to come. However, some things did not happened the way I imagined it to play out. I knew I would be out in the sun all day but I never thought I would be accompanied by other students. As it turns out, Dr. Summers' students also had to complete intercept surveys as well as Dr. Hackbert's EPG students. I thought I would be all alone with no one to interact with. However with these other students working by my side, I felt better about the experience. I am a "people person" so being around others give me energy. The importance of working together as a team boosted my how I felt about being there. You can say my expectations were realistic but they were also helped with the company of those working to reach the same goal.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Alone

These past couple of days I have been working from home. This is not the first time we have done this but it is the first time during a week day. Ever since the briefing with Scott, our objective has been to get the software working so that we can test it on the camera ordered by Dr. Hackbert. The weather has not been kind to us as it has been raining, which has prevented us from getting more sample data for our algorithms. However, gathering sample data is not what I was worried about. Working from home seemed to be harder than I thought it was. Whenever I am taken away from an environment of work, I tend to procrastinate more often because there is no one to keep me on track. I have been this way ever since high school.  I realized that I am the one who is holding myself back. Everything was moving smoother when I was working with CJ in the same room. It all comes back to effective communication. If meeting up in the lab is not part of the plan. I make an effort to keep our ...

Attack on Titan

Have you ever completed a task and believed that it was some of the best piece of work that you have ever done? There is this feeling of accomplishment and success like you have just gotten a perfect score on a test. Everyone loves that feeling.  However, sometimes it is not always what it appears to be. We may feel good about completing something but in reality, the outcome was not what you were expecting. Yeah, that feeling. Well I felt like that in a similar way after completing our presentation.  It just goes to show that more work needs to be done when it comes to my abilities to put together a presentation. At first I could not believe it; the problem was not with the presenter but the content on the slides. We had apparently had forgotten to talk about what makes our job significant. However, I did not stress on it. I knew it was not perfect but there was still a great deal of work to do. I communicated o my teammate to my partner on some tips on how to improve his...