Skip to main content

A Well Deserved Break

During the 4th I did about two to three hours of work then I took the rest of the day off. It surprised me that I was able to take time to myself and enjoy my day. Last week, CJ and I did not think that we would be able to take a break. We were under the impression that we had a presentation to give later that week. However, we were told otherwise so that freed up a great deal of time for us. There still may be a presentation to give besides the scheduled date for the internship so this will not be the last time we hear about this topic. I think it will be great to show off our work to many important people of the city of Berea.

Furthermore, it does not stop there. Scott wants us to go to Canada to compete with other student's work. This opportunity was huge and can really put us on the map if we were to place in this competition. I would love to see our work take off and attract people who would love to use our work. CJ and I would always be told on how important this project means to Berea. I always thought it was just encouragement for getting our work done. Now I see the potential in what we are doing. It is great work and people are going to love it! The feeling to having completed something that can impact a city is something worth fighting for. I want to do more of this kind of work; I want to make a difference/change in this world!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Alone

These past couple of days I have been working from home. This is not the first time we have done this but it is the first time during a week day. Ever since the briefing with Scott, our objective has been to get the software working so that we can test it on the camera ordered by Dr. Hackbert. The weather has not been kind to us as it has been raining, which has prevented us from getting more sample data for our algorithms. However, gathering sample data is not what I was worried about. Working from home seemed to be harder than I thought it was. Whenever I am taken away from an environment of work, I tend to procrastinate more often because there is no one to keep me on track. I have been this way ever since high school.  I realized that I am the one who is holding myself back. Everything was moving smoother when I was working with CJ in the same room. It all comes back to effective communication. If meeting up in the lab is not part of the plan. I make an effort to keep our ...

Posted Up

The field testing had finally begun. The 12 hours shift that would put CJ and me in one location for the entire day had finally caught up to us. We knew this day would come, we just never knew how we would bare it. Because of the lack of manpower, CJ and I had to be split up between the Stephenson trail and the Indian Fort trail. This was going to be a true test of our independence to work without the help of each other. CJ got the more popular trail so he had to worry about more trail users than I did. I expected this part of our internship to be the worst part of the 10 weeks spent over the summer. My expectations for this part of my internship were not things I wanted to be true but I knew the reality of what was to come. However, some things did not happened the way I imagined it to play out. I knew I would be out in the sun all day but I never thought I would be accompanied by other students. As it turns out, Dr. Summers' students also had to complete intercept surveys as...

Delivery

Our sensors finally came! I could not believe this day would come. For too long have CJ and I be working with code with no hardware to use it with. Now with about half of the internship over and done with, it is time to use get some raw data. This would be the changing point in my goals for the internship. As you know from previous posts I am not very good with code. However with these sensors, something about them became familiar to me. I realized I had a handle on what we had to do to get these sensors to work. Suddenly it became clear that this is what I was meant to do. CJ and I both agreed to split the work. He would work on the code and I would work with the sensors. We both were working on something that allowed use to apply our strengths and skills. My goal was not to become an expert in these trail sensors. This reminded me of the time I was working on a project with a group. I chose to be the presenter because I knew I would be great at public speaking. I learned tha...